Sunday, May 15, 2011

Aloha Showcase 2011

I really liked this performances, er... series of performances.  All these different groups coming together to form a densely packed show; some of them good, some kind of corny and hard on the ears,  most were spectacular to the point that it put a smile on my face - rare for me in a play.  I saw plays, dance numbers, singing, and slam poetry, all which did exactly what the performance promised to deliver, a showcase that peacocked the multi talented students in the performing arts at Kaimuki.  Instead of spouting the praises I would normally do so for regular performances, I'm just going to condense it into a list in the style of the hand out I received at the auditorium in the order that I saw them.  

"The Club is Alive"
Music & Lyrics by JLS
- KHS Creative Dance Class 

This was done at the Aloha Assembly and when it first started with it's red/black contrasting backdrop, with the shadow of the dancers and the crimson of the backstage, everybody cheered.  That was exactly how I felt about it.  

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
Music & Lyrics by Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
-KHS Vocalz

Not much to say.  I liked the message though there was this one grating voice in the back.  I forgot his name.  

"To Sympathy and Devils Alike"
-Slam Poetry: Samson Tafolo

*I loved this peformance.  In all honesty, I loved all the slam poets performances.  They were sharp, biting, witty, funny, satirical, and overall, just really great stuff.  It's too bad I can't look it up on youtube being that it's an original work.  

"K School"
Music by Shinee, f(x), 2NEI
- Choreographed and Danced by Stacy Swinehart, Vivica Nguyen, Tiana Kono

It's the same group from the talent show but completely different routine.  There was no singing involved which I appreciate as the former talent show performance was a little lacking thanks it's inclusion.  This one was a different story.  It had dancing in three parts; each member with her own unique song and dance number.  They come together at the end and though there's this one part which to me makes almost no sense choreographically (They do the same move for a good 13 seconds) they were in sync.  That's what counts.  B (Since I take off a full grade for coming from a hyper conservative Asian family.  My god.  Their outfits and the way they were dancing...). 

"Vahine Ori Opu"
Choreographed and Danced by Naomi Baldomero

It's Pacific Islander dancing. I know almost nothing about it.  My mom had a lot to say and she said this "She danced like a pro."  

"Favorite DJ"
Music & Lyrics by Auburn & Clinton Sparks
Choreographed & Danced by Ricardo Martinez

Thought it was going to be lame at first.  Dead wrong.  Modern Dancing

"The Fear"
Written by Jasmine Yamamoto
Directed by Jasmine Yamamoto & Rikki Jo Hickey
- Advanced Acting Class

A short play about a 21 year old "boy" (a homeschooled brat) coming to terms with the fact that he's not as mature as he thinks he is by having an adventure with his shadow.  It's sweet.  

"Forget You"
Music by Cee Lo Green
- Vocalz

Forgettable if it wasn't for the performers.  They really added something into it.  

"Lost in the Wilderness"
Music & Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz
- Robert Piamon

This was my least favorite. Grating. 

"So Close"
Music & Lyrics by John McLaughlin
- Samuel Tafolo 
Danced by Natasha Fehn & Victor DeMarco

I didn't like the song but I liked the way it was sung.  The waltzing couple on the side was a nice touch.  

----Intermission---- (Pretty early for an intermission.  It wasn't even halfway I believe.)

"Rolling in the Deep"
ML by Adele Adkins
- Vocalz

Same as other Vocalz performances.  Nothing really stuck out aside from the two guitar, piano, and tambourine accompaniment.  

"And I Will Follow"
ML by Jason Robert Brown
-Taylor Silva & Robert Piamon

Silva : great voice. 

"Brothers"
Written & Performed by Samson Tafolo and Henry Kaholi III

*.  My feelings for this performance are the same as the other one by Samson.  It's intelligently written, cleverly acted out, and it's just really funny.  The audience was roaring.  

"Purotu No Te Hura"
C & D by Naomi Baldomero

Another dance by Naomi.  This time my mom said "She really looks like she should be a part of those professional hula groups".  

"Little Class of Bashaw's"
Music by Alan Menken & Howard Ashman
Directed by Samuel Tafolo & Kia Kekoa

It's a parody of Little Shop of Horrors and those familliar with Samuels performance with the aforementioned play should love this one.  This time it centers around the very real teacher at Kaimuki and the not very real way she treats her students.  It's funny.  

"Fly Away"
Music & Lyrics by S. Alan & Stephanie J. Block
- Kyla Anderson, Alaura Ward, & Alexandra Lanning.  

Two words.  Kyla Anderson.  

"Smash Into You"
Music & Lyrics by T. Harrel, Beyonce Knowles, T. Nash, C. Stewart
- Dwayne Sakaguchi

What can I say?  It won an award.  

"Imagination"
Music by Chris Brown & Michael Jackson (Billie Jean)
- Poasa Aga and Rodney Phung

Known around school for being incredibly talented at dancing, they've joined forces and songs modern and old to make an enjoyable piece.  The red light show at the beginning was really spot on.  

"I Wanna Dance With Somebody"
Music & Lyrics by G. Merrill & S. Rubicon (Whitney Houston)
- Anette Aga

Anette makes her triumphant return in a song that delivers.  It was a load of fun especially with the cast members from other performances pitching in to dance.  The audience roared and thundered.  

"Who Are You"
Written by CK2
- Candice Kiyabu & Chelsey Koma

I think it's a comedy.  I'm not really sure.  It's just weird.  A girl waits a bus stop for the bus to show up (It doesn't) while having to deal with a green guy that constantly steals and defaces public property.  He's also mute apparently.  

"The Language of Love"
ML by Cee Lo Green
- Creative Dance Class

I remember this from a pep rally I think.  I can't really remember but it's still a great dance routine.  Too bad a certain person wasn't in it.  (Diep... ಠ_ಠ)

"Wedding Dress"
ML by One Republic, Missy Elliot, Fatman Scoop, Ciara, Taeyang, Kevin Lien
- Ricardo Martinez

Ricardo dances yet again though this time with a lot more songs while wearing a white mask.  It's incredible the way he can incorporate so many different styles into his performance. And it fits the music. 

"Candles"
Music by The Warblers
-Royce R. Okazaki

Some kind of flag waving skit.  It's really interesting to look at it.  Flag changes, throws, tosses, and recoveries.  It's different but good. 

"Once On This Island" Medley
ML by S. Flaherty & L. Ahrens
Choreographed by Samuel Tafolo
-Vocalz

The finale was quite good.  I think they tried to go for a slow decline in action with most of the kickers in the middle to 3/4 of the entire thing.  If so, then I think this was a great "We're at the end of the show so let's say a happy good bye" kind of thing.   

2 comments:

  1. now only if you had your camcorder.... >_>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I didn't catch this! Thank you, Eric, for your blog post. It's very cool to post about KHSPAC, not many people acknowledge us for being in a public school. I felt some of your critiques were VERY honest, however, this is your blog and your critique, and I love it. Thank you!
    P.S. lol @ Steph! ~like the pic~ 2010-2011 ASK!
    - Samuel Tafolo

    ReplyDelete